Thursday, 7 March 2013

Frame Game: Phase 1 -- Painting

I am proud to announce that I have started the galley wall process. This is one of the biggest projects I have taken on (which proves that I am not all that DIYish) so I will blog about it in parts.

After compiling lots of inspiration online, I gathered all the picture frames I had and made lots of trips to Value Village (out local thrift store chain). I bought the majority of them, as I didn't have many of my own. They ranged from $0.99 (but s***! It was ninety-nine cents!!) to $6.99. The ones I sought out to adopt were pretty sad looking in the store. But fear not, I said! I will make you over and you will be beautiful and loved.

I am going for an all-white frame gallery wall and obviously the thrift store finds came in a rainbow of colours (forest green and peach was my favourite to get rid of). Enter: painting clothes. At first, I tried to spray paint these puppies. Sometimes it worked, sometimes the coverage was awful. I guess it just depends on the type of material the object is made of. I find wood absorbs a lot of spray paint. 

Once I got my can of baseboard paint out, I stuck to that. I recruited my 7 year old brother to help me paint them and I would love to say we got done in a jiffy. But, sadly, I can not. Painting 40+ frames takes a while, each needing multiple coats. It took about 3 days.

PS- I just noticed the headline inside this frame and it made me very sad. :(

For most of the process, I used a small sponge brush and threw it out at the end of each day. I got a pack of 6 for a dollar. And I enjoy covering things with aluminium foil to ease with the clean up. I hate clean up. I like throw away when it comes to painting.

Those pictures above are the current state of my dining room. The frames are drying and I should be able to start hanging them soon! #exciting

xoxo, E

No comments:

Post a Comment